What I wore for tenure | School spirit in black + red

So it’s official — I’ve been granted tenure! At my college, librarians have faculty status, and there is a four-year tenure evaluation process, which involves tenure-track and peer faculty committees, etc., to annually evaluate your teaching, program service, college and community service, professional development, and scholarship. I teach at a community college, so there’s NOT the “publish or perish” scenario like there is to tenure at research colleges or universities. But I did have to put together a binder, or portfolio, of evidence from the past four years relating to all those evaluation areas I mentioned above. (They displayed all the tenure portfolios at the tenure reception, and yes, I did have the biggest binder. I’m a librarian — I’m organized! 😉 )

Here is the outfit I wore for the board’s tenure vote and reception. My college’s colors are red and black, so OF COURSE I had to show my school spirit. A colleague joked that in addition to the tenure vote, I was “vying for the title of most fashionably dressed tenure recipient ever.” 😀

Librarian for Life + Style | School spirit in black + red

Details:

Librarian for Life + Style | School spirit in black + red

Librarian for Life + Style | School spirit in black + red

Librarian for Life + Style | Closeup of Fluevog heels

It was a special occasion, so it called for special shoes. And my black-and-cream Fluevog heels are certainly special! It was the first time I’ve paired them with black tights, and I LOVED the overall effect.

I also wore a bracelet that my husband, Sam, recently gifted me. It’s a faux-leather wrap bracelet, with silver bits that spell “love” and “librarian” along with a little book charm in silver. The black-and-silver bracelet was not only appropriate for the occasion, but it also was a nice compliment to my black-and-silver chunky statement necklace.

Librarian for Life + Style | Black + red + librarian bracelet

Librarian for Life + Style | Black + red + statement necklace

Librarian for Life + Style | School spirit in black + red

Librarian for Life + Style | School spirit in black + red

And last but not least, a photo of me and my friend and fellow faculty librarian Stephanie, who was also awarded tenure that night! I loved that we BOTH wore our Fluevog heels — totally unplanned! — and that we don’t match but we definitely go. Stephanie looked fantastic in her striped jersey knit skirt and red blazer and booties!

Stephanie and I have had an eventful journey to this tenure milestone, and it has made it even more special to experience this together.

Librarian for Life + Style | Jen + Steph in our tenure reception outfits

Linkups:  Hello Monday, Monday Mingle, Sophisticated Style, Visible Monday#iwillwearwhatilike, A Lovely Little a La Mode, Shoe and TellConfident TwosdaysTurning HeadsWho’s Wearing What WednesdaysTrendy Wednesday, What I Wore WednesdayThrowback Thursday, Top of the World, What I Wore to Work/Summer StyleThursdays Fashion Files, Thursday ModaFashion FridayPassion for Fashion, Fun Fashion FridayCharming Friday, Friday Favorites, The Weekly Edit

Advertisements

27 thoughts on “What I wore for tenure | School spirit in black + red

1. Salazar

Congratulations, Jen! I’m in the tenure process myself, so I understand how stressful it could get sometimes (even though tenure in Vietnam is not that difficult, all things considered). And you look great!

1. Salazar

Two years. Like I said, the tenure process in Vietnam is different: basically you just apply, and then teach a “presentation” class in front of the faculty and board – which I already did. Then you wait for a tenure spot to open up, and unless you mess up your presentation really badly or don’t complete your classes or do something equally stupid, you’ll usually get it.

2. Kezzie

Well done, Jen! That’s great news! I love your chic outfit too- that really is a favourite one of yours in recent time! The shoes are beaaaaaaaaautiful and I adore that style of dress.x

3. Lauren

Congratulations!!! Your outfit is so fitting for the event as well … I love all of the accessories you selected and wore. Enjoy the rest of your week!

XX,
    Lauren

4. Mike

That is wonderful, Jen! I am so happy for both you and Stephanie for making tenure (thanks for using one of my favorite words by the way!). That is quite impressive! Congratulations to you both! I’m actually close to making my own tenure (of sorts) this year myself. This coming September will mark my 10th year at the library! I began in the fall of 2006. And though I do not have to go through the same process as you and Stephanie, I, along with all my other colleagues that have reached their 10th year anniversary (or any of the 5 year increments, 5, 10, 15, etc.), will be honored at our next all employee staff meeting (called “Staff Development Day”, held in November) with a certificate, marking our successful time and efforts at the library. Each year, those that reach their tenure year (every 5 years), they are honored on stage. I never thought I’d make it this far but by remaining stalwart through the good times and the not so good times (two library levies passed during my tenure!), I am hitting my 10th year! And I hope for another 10 years to come.
    So once again Jen, CONGRATULATIONS! And you and Stephanie look awesome!!!

1. Mike

Thanks. I love working at the library and hope to put in another 10 years. And who knows? I may even decide to get my MLIS by then!

5. Erin @ Loop Looks

Hooray! That’s such a wonderful accomplishment. Congratulations to both you and Stephanie. Having worked in both academia and having family in academia I know that tenure is a big deal and a big milestone. How wonderful that you have found a place to call home and a friend who clearly compliments you 🙂

6. Sheela Goh

Jen, your shoes are amazing. I’ve always thought of Fluevog as being a genius for the sole, and I can’t understand why I still don’t own a pair of mine to this day 🙂 you look amazing, that red+black pairing is beyond striking and I believe congratulations are also in order 🙂

Speaking of looking amazng, my current Project Sister Act link-up is now live, and it’d be lovely to have you so please do come by and link-up if you have a second, Jen, those shoes need to be shared with the world xoxo

Please leave a comment and share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w