Tomorrow is a big day: I’ll be announcing the winner of my first-ever giveaway (so excited!), celebrating my first-year blog anniversary, and kicking off a week-long “Mutually Inspired Series” with my blogger friend, Erin of Loop Looks. Stay tuned!
Today’s post is another combination of sorts, including this week’s “Inspiration Monday” challenge (on a Sunday) and my answers to a recent Liebster Award nomination from the fabulous Kari of My Fabulous Frugal Life.
First up, the inspiration for this week’s challenge, via Jessica Alba:
I stuck to peep-toes (mine are wedges), skinny jeans, and a (more structured) tan jacket, but added a bright striped tank. The theme of this week’s inspiration was all about spring, and bright colors make me think of spring!
Part I of the Liebster Award is to share 11 random facts. Here goes:
- I went to a K-12 school (for all 12 years!) in Texas and graduated in a class of 24 (half of whom had graduated early).
- I was Homecoming Queen nominee my senior year. Not because I was particularly popular, but because I was just about the only girl left in my class who hadn’t been nominated.
- I was also the class valedictorian, for both high school and junior high.
- I got an award and letter from President Bill Clinton for having never missed a day of school, K-12.
- I still feel a bit guilty when I need to take a sick day for work.
- Not counting the U.S., I have visited a library in 8 different countries (Thailand, UAE, Kuwait, Austria, Netherlands, Canada, Scotland, and Mexico).
- I met my future husband my senior year of high school while interviewing for a scholarship at the college he was attending. I like to say that I got the guy as well as the scholarship! 😉
- I love cheese. Like, on everything! Even when eating a multi-cheese pasta dish or pizza, my husband still knows to bring the parmesan.
- I like to wear 3-inch heels so that I can say that I’m 6 feet tall.
- I prefer email over the telephone. I’ve even set my work phone to automatically forward voice messages to my email account, so I can respond via email.
- I’m wearing my mom’s vintage sunglasses in today’s post. Plus, I just went to the eye doctor to update the prescription, so you’ll soon be seeing them a lot more!
Details: Tan blazer: The Limited, Fall 2011 (part of a suit) / Striped tank top: Old Navy, last summer / Skinny jeans: Target, last winter / Peep toe wedges: Franco Sarto, old / Vintage sunglasses: My mom’s
Part II of the Liebster Award is to answer 11 questions from Kari, who nominated me:
- Why do you blog? For myself! It’s been a fantastic way to pay more attention to my style and how it evolves. And I have to say, almost a year in, I feel so much more confident about not only my style, but also about my body in general. Every woman should feel more confident about herself — why not?!
- What is the last book you read? I just finished reading the latest Phryne Fisher mystery, Unnatural Habits. My mom and I have read the entire series, which is like an Australian version of Miss Marple — if Miss Marple had been a flapper!
- What is the last item you purchased? This black & white graphic top with tie, seen here. It cost me 74 cents! (Read what I bought with gift cards last month by clicking here.)
- What is the last meal/food you prepared? Ummm…. I don’t like to cook. I guess it was when Sam was on a research trip during Spring Break, and I fixed myself a baked potato for dinner. With cheese. 😉
- Where do you find home decorating items/inspiration? Young House Love! I looooove this cheerful DIY site and have been a daily reader for 3+ years (and counting).
- What do you love? So many things… the first things popping into my head (and in no particular order) include how delighted my husband gets when he makes me laugh, lounging in bed on a Saturday morning with our kitties, talking to my mom, sleeping, reading, watching a really good film, discussing said film afterwards over coffee and pie, helping out a library user when they really needed it, the feeling I get when someone says “Thank you” and means it. So many things!
- What’s something you know you do differently than most people? Hmmm… I really try to be a good listener, and I read emails and letters and blog comments quite closely. I don’t always succeed, but it can frustrate me when others don’t put in that same kind of effort.
- What would you do if you won $1 million? Save most of it and plan for a couple of awesome vacations.
- What is your guilty pleasure? Watching cheesy romances or romantic comedies, I guess. But I don’t feel that guilty about it. Sometimes, you just need some Bridget Jones or Queen Latifah (The Last Holiday, love it!) in your day.
- What is your favorite store and why? Whichever store I have a gift card for. I really love gift cards! And a gift card for a particular store is like a puzzle: Can I find something here that fits me/my style/my lifestyle? How can I get the most out of this gift card amount? What’s on sale? It’s like giving the gift of choice AND the gift of using one’s imagination at the same time. So if you know me well enough to give me a gift, you know me well enough to give me a gift card.
- What are you grateful for? The feeling of being grateful keeps you humble in the best possible sense — that you are open to new experiences and ways of thinking. I am grateful that I am able to enjoy my life, my family and friends, and my work more now than ever before. For both me and my husband, our 30s thus far have been a time of self-reflection and discovery, and we have made big life decisions that are now paying off — like moving from overseas to Portland two years ago and buying a new house this past fall!
And last, but not least, a rare back view! (Sam couldn’t resist)
I’ve nominated most of my daily reads for similar awards, so I’m not going to tag anyone else, but I’d like to invite anyone to answer those questions above in the comments below. Or just leave a comment with one random fact about yourself!