This month, I admit, I went a little overboard with the spring shopping. I added 1 jacket, 1 pair of pants, 1 cardigan, 2 skirts, 2 dresses, 2 silk scarves, and 3 tops to my wardrobe. However, I still stuck to my yearly shopping rule of only buying new items of clothing with gift cards, and I ended up spending less than $50 total for the whole month!
How? Sam and I convert our credit card rewards points about every 6 months, and this month, I converted the remainder of our points into two $100 gift cards, one for Macy’s and the other for Old Navy. I even split the $100 Old Navy gift card with my husband to add some new spring items to his side of the closet. 🙂 I also made use of two $25 eShakti gift coupons (one for signing up as a first-time buyer) plus the 20% coupon code I blogged about earlier this month.
So let’s get to the clothes:
Warning: There are lots of numbers and percentages below, for those of you who like the budget breakdown. If not, just skip closer to the bottom for the total spent.
- Red cotton jacket, Macy’s (original price $79): On 40% sale + extra 20% store coupon + gift card = $0
- Black & white striped dress, Old Navy (original price $24.95): On sale for $15 + gift card = $0
- Blue cotton dress, Old Navy (original price $24.94): On sale for $15 + gift card = $0
- Cropped striped cardigan, Old Navy (original price $15): On sale for $12 + gift card = $0
- Khaki ankle pants, Macy’s: (original price $49): On 40% sale + extra 20% store coupon + gift card = $0
- Green, blue & black patterned top, Macy’s (original price $49): On final clearance for $12 + extra 20% store coupon + gift card = $0
- Black & white polka-dotted top, eShakti (original price $54.95): On 30% sale + $25 gift coupon + 20% off discount code = $16 ($9 of that was shipping, so the top was really $7)
This month, I was also lucky enough to be the recipient of two silk scarves from Echo, seen above, via a giveaway (more details here).
- Cotton/linen floral skirt, eShakti (original price $49.95): On 30% sale + $25 gift coupon + 20% off coupon code = $16 (again, $9 of that was shipping, so the skirt came to $7)
- Eyelet skirt, Necessary Objects via resale shop (original price $50-$60?): 20% off gift coupon = $15
- Black & white striped sleeve top with tie, Macy’s (original price $59): On 50% clearance + gift card = 74¢
Total spent: $47.74
Looking over my purchases for the month, I am pleased to be gravitating toward more color, pattern and/or texture. And I did go back and purchase those two additional pieces I mentioned in last month’s budget breakdown post (the khaki tummy-control trousers + the black & white top from Macy’s). Waiting was worth it, as both items were even more on sale the second time around!
However excited at the deals I was able to score this month — and there were a LOT of sales this month, what with spring transitions and Easter — I will definitely be toning it down in April.
Hope y’all are having a great weekend! I’ll be back tomorrow with an extra-special Easter Sunday post. 🙂
Link ups: Budgeting Bloggers